FOOD & HEALTHY EATING
a) Cooking verbs: Match the verbs with a correct definition.
a) to move a spoon in circles in order to mix ingredients
together or to make them cook evenly
b) to make a liquid flow from one container into another
c) to put something with something else
d) to become liquid or to make something become liquid
e) to remove the core from a piece of fruit (e.g. apple, pear,
f) to remove the skin of fruits or vegetables
g) to cut something into pieces with a knife
h) to combine different ingredients together, so that they
can‘t be separated
12 3 4 5 6
b) Cooking verbs: Complete the sentences with a correct verb from the box.
coreroast heat simmer stir mix
1. the oil in a skillet.
2. In a large bowl, salt into water until dissolved.
3. In a small bowl, together flour, sugar, oil and egg yolks.
4. When making Baked Apples you have to the apples.
5. Put the chicken and the vegetables in a large pot and
on medium heat until the chicken is cooked through.
6. the beef at a high temperature first to get
browning, and then lower the oven temperature and cook the meat slow and low for
a couple of hours.
l) Write the expressions in the correct column.
athletics track, ball, binding, catch, climb, coach, drive, get a workout, goal judge,
goalkeeper, goggles, golf course, gymnasium, head the ball, helmet, ice rink, jump,
knee pad, lift, linesman, pass the ball, pitch, player, referee, rifle, run, score a goal,
ski poles, ski slope, stadium, swim, swimming pool, throw, umpire
PEOPLEEQUIPMENT VENUE VERB/ACTIVITY
4. ATHLETIC DISCIPLINES:
a) Find the Czech equivalent of each discipline.
Tr iple jump
běh na dlouhou vzdálenost
běh na krátkou vzdálenost
krátký překážkový běh
překážkový běh na 3000 m
skok do dálky
skok do výšky
skok o tyči
FAMILY AND ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLES
7. credible – ( – )
8. modest – ( – )
9. friendly – ( – )
10. communicative – ( – )
e) Find the opposites. (Many of them are not related to personal characteristics.)
FAMILY AND ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLES
20. ROLEPLAY: TAKE IT IN TURNS TO PLAY THE PARENT/TEACHER AND A
TEENAGER. DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS.
piercing or tattoo
curfew at 9 p.m.
21. TEENAGE LIFE. ASK AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS IN PAIRS.
• Do you have brothers or sisters? If yes, has sibling rivalry ever occurred in your
family? (Talk about it.)
• Have today’s teenagers changed in comparison with the teens in the past? Take
in account their way of life, spending free time, clothes, music they listen to,
attitude towards education and learning foreign languages, mobility, eating habits,
use of technology etc.
• Do you prefer watching TV or spending time at your computer? Can you explain
• Do you do any sport or exercise? What kind of sport and how often? What role
does physical activity play in healthy lifestyle?
• How do today’s teenagers dress? What clothes are typical for a 21
-century teen -
• Do you know anybody who suffers from anorexia or bulimia? Can you explain
what these eating disorders mean and what leads to them?
• What role does personal hygiene play in healthy lifestyle? What belongs to
c) Complete the table below.
CZECH MEANINGINFITNITIVE PAST SIMPLE PA ST PA RTICIPLE
5. DRIVING A CAR.
a) Interior of the car. Label the arrows. Use the vocabulary list below to help you.
gear lever (BrE)
/ gear shift
hand brake (BrE)
rev counter speedometer
windscreen wiper (BrE) /
windshield wiper (AmE)
HOUSING AND ACCOMMODATION
3. HOUSING AND ACCOMMODATION:
a) Match the words with the pictures.
1. detached house
2. semi-detached house
3. terraced house
4. block of flats
b) A QUIZ: Choose the correct answer.
1. A small dwelling constructed of logs or tree trunks is called
a) a terraced house
b) a mortgage
c) a log cabin
d) a cabin crew
2. A house that is standing on its own and is not connected to any other building
a) a semi-detached house
b) a flat
c) a yurt
d) a detached house